Qantas is pushing back the planned resumption of international services until late October 2021. This is four months later than the previously announced resumption date of July 1. That date was widely regarded as overly ambitious. Now, as Qantas rolls out its half-yearly financial results, the airline confirmed on Thursday most international flights would remain off the books for another eight months.
Whereas Qantas had flagged a full resumption of international flights from July, the airline is now adopting a more cautious tone.
“Capacity will be lower than pre-COVID levels,” said Qantas in a statement today. “Frequencies and aircraft type deployed on each route in line with the projected recovery of international flying. International capacity is not expected to fully recover until 2024.”
The exception is New Zealand. With the imminent rollout of a two-way travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand, Qantas expects to step up Trans-Tasman flying from mid-2020.
While Qantas says it “remains committed” to New York, Santiago and Osaka, those flights won’t resume in October. However, flights to 25 pre-COVID international destinations including Los Angeles, London, Singapore and Johannesburg are slated to run from October 31.
More to follow